May 31, 2008

Saturday morning!

Lst night was spent frustrated and frantic as I tried to make a "stay and Play" blanket for a baby shower for a friends shower that is today!!! Let's just say my machine was not my friend and did all it could to gather, skip and sputter!!! If you sew you know that's not good!!!! Half way throught I just bagged the project...it was basically unsalvageable!

ok...move on to plan B.Wait!!! I don't have a plan B! Don't panic! It's only 9:40p.m. and I don't have a plan B! CRAP!!! I had to figure out something! I did have a stash of baby onsie projects I have been waiting to work on. That's it!!! a cute baby onsie with a sewn on Patch that reads "Totally Spoiled!!! Perfect! I'll make a matching tutu and a a hair band and a pair of matching slippers!!! Now if only I had started 5 hours before!!!! Oh ell!!!

So the machine was still on strike and managed to only get half of what I needed done so I finished the onsie by hand! Finish the Tutu...check! Hair band...check! And I finally get it wrapped and in bed by 11. Not too bad!!!

Man I hate that panicky feeling! I had no reservations on working on the blanket the night before! I've made those blankets how many times before with no problem and then my lame machine is to blame!!! It's my fault for waiting 'till the last minute!!!Maybe it was a sigh! Maybe people aren't as in to home made baby gifts as I think!!! It's not like I do it to save a ton of money on a a gift and the time i put into them is just as valuable!!! Maybe it's time to reevaluate!!!

So what do you prefer? Guests to stick to your registry or do you appreciate the time and effort that people put into making a useful gift? (ok...maybe a tutu isn't the most useful gift I could have given but it was 10 o'clock people!)

just wondering!

12 comments:

Hannah said...

hmmm...I don't know what I prefer. If people would stick to the registry, you wouldn't get 10 of one item, but I do love cute homemade stuff.

Sounds like a crazy weekend for you! :)

donna said...

I wish i could sew. That onsie sounds so cute.. You should of taken a picture of it, so we could see it....
Have a great weekend...........

Sarah said...

I like both actually. But when it comes to baby blankets i much prefer to get the home made ones!

Julie said...

Sorry, but for me a home made blanket wins, hands down. Those are keepsakes! love em :) I don't really see treasuring that "Baby Einstein play mat" off my registry. However stick to my registry if you're going to make me anything with puffy paint :P

michelle said...

I would rather have a homemade gift any day over a store bought gift. I love everything about homemade!!! I am impressed that you came up with a plan B that late! Mi mind starts to turn off around 10:00! :)

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

I like both. obviously you need certain things off your registry, but if i have a talented friend, i would prefer something she made over anything else because chances are I am not that talented, and I can always go buy the things i need off my registry if i really need them.

Megan said...

My vote is for the homemade. It just means so much more to me, but then again I am more sentimental than some people sooo.....I guess it depends on who the gift is for. I also think handmade stuff is more fun because it is one of a kind!

Sorry your sewing machine was being poopy!

Blackner Family said...

I like both! But if I had your talent I would always go for the handmade gift!

Amy said...

Wow - talk about super woman!!! I'm way impressed with your abilities and to pull it all off with a broken machine - good job.

By the way, I love your new blog titles and pictures. I'll have to try out the site - thanks!!! Oh, and you look like a super model in that picture - on a daily basis too, I'm sure.

Jamie C. said...

Homemade! Thoughtful and personal. Maybe it wouldn't be something I'd pick out or absolutely need, but way more thoughtful. And that's what I think counts!

Momma Fish said...

i am glad your machine didn't give out the morning of my shower because i LOVE my stay and play blanket. it is a must. we use it all of the time.

Amber H. said...

Oh my! I would looooove a homemade tutu, what are you talking about, not useful? With three girls, something like that is a staple in our house! Oh, and I can totally relate to the sewing machine crapping out on you. Mine just did that same thing to me, the day before Felicity's school play! Luckily I have a mother in law close by, so I ran over and grabbed hers. It looks like you aren't the only procrastinator! LOL!