Jun 1, 2008

An "Almost crap my pants I was so scared" moment!

So we just got back from a family walk I'll never soon forget! It started off as any family walk on a beautiful Sunday evening! We loaded the kids into the double stroller and headed off. We decided to walk the path along the stream that lined the back of our neighborhood homes! It was really a beautiful area. Ducks were peacefully swimming, gardens were on display! There could have been "God Bless America" playing on loud speakers and it would have perfected the setting! We came to a point on the walk and noticed a sign...No Trespassing! Hum! That's odd! It's the river walk way...isn't that city property! So we thought nothing of it and kept on going!!!

OK!!!!This is the part when Heavenly Father shook His head and went "tisk tisk" to us!!! Not five minutes later we come to an old run down yard fully opened to the trail we were on. Macy started pipping up a little too load and Mike and Both tried to shush her repeatedly. We both kind of knew this was probably why it was marked No Trespassing! Maybe these people did own the land. So just as we were almost past the back yard , Mace is still too loud and this dog starts barking and comes out of no where and charges across the yard. My heart practically jumps out of my chest and I'm in front of the stroller and Mikes pushing. He calmly says " just keep going...look ahead" but this beast of a scary looking, rabies infested, mad dog keeps coming with no fear. It all happened so fast. The dog gets right up on Mike and I hear Mike kick it and slow down but then move forward again. I keep moving forward but looking back ready to see my husband being eaten alive by this beast and I ask "did he bite you?" to where Mike says "Yes but just keep going! Don't look at him!" I'm seriously fighting the urge to run and cry and throw my body over my kids all at the same time. Miraculously the dog seemed to stop at it's property line or something and we managed to get far enough away from it only to find that the path ended at a fence. I was about to cry thinking the only way back was to cross paths with that dog again but I noticed the girls and I could fit under the fence and Mike would have to throw the stroller over!

Once we were over the fence we regrouped and tried to get our heart rates down. Mike was so collective and calm and brave! I was so proud of him! We checked to see where the dog bite him and it was so strange...not a single flesh wound or anything. Mike kept looking for some sign of contact but there wasn't. He said that he totally felt the dog bite him but thankfully there wasn't any wounds.

We were totally watched over. It could have been a terrible out come! I as amazed at so many things that occurred during this short ordeal. The first thing that we were blessed with was that Macy was in the stroller. She had been walking next to the stroller throwing rocks in the water for a good part of the walk and could have been an easier target for the dog. Secondly, the girl didn't make a peep during all this. Both my girls are scared of big dogs and to see me panic like that and feel the danger and still be calm was a miracle. And lastly I am still amazed that Mike was so calm and knew exactly what to do and wasn't hurt. He was such an all star! I was a freak of course inside and out but he was incredible!

I keep thinking of all the "what could have happened" out comes! I also was so grateful to be with Mike. So many times I had wanted to go on a walk back there by myself or with just the girls. I don't even want to think what could have happened if that were the case. I feel totally blessed to have been protected the way we were!

The moral of the story is...When you come across a sign that says "No Trespassing," DON'T Trespass!!!!!!!!

15 comments:

Christina said...

ohhh scary scary scary!!! im so glad to hear you are all okay--dang how scary!!

jon has told me that one of the things he loves about me is that if we are every in an emergency situation-he knows that im totally calm & collective & not one of these ladies that is FREAKING out & doing NOTHING!!

& yes i prefer homemade!

Elise said...

I think I almost crapped my pants just reading about that! Yikes! I'm glad that everyone is ok and that you were watched over. Scary!

Andrea said...

That is so scary! I'm so glad that things didn't turn out as bad as they could have!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

yikes, that is scary! you could have been posting some pictures even worse than the dog bite pics i posted last month! thank goodness everything is ok!

Bruce said...

That is one of my worst nightmares. I have honestly had DayNightmares about that very thing happening. Thank goodness you are all fine. Good Job Mike for being able to be calm and think. My brain stops working when scary things happen.

Sarah said...

wow. I'm glad everything is ok. That is way scarey. I always tense up when a dog comes up to us on a walk. My biggest pet peeve is when people just let their dogs run rampid.

donna said...

oh that is so scary..... I would of CRAP my pants.........
so glad that everyone is ok and you were able to go go under the fence... There is no-way i would want to walk pass that dog again..

Suzanne said...

Freaky! I had a similar situation on my mission and luckily we wore backpacks that we immediately dropped around our legs. The dogs were biting our backpacks. Luckily another dog came from the other direction and scared the fierce ones away. Your experience brought back that scary memory- Thanks!! Glad you are all ok and that is a true miracle Mike didn't get it bad. I bet your heart was pounding the whole way home:) I am not a dog lover and never will be.

Bryn said...

Whoa! My fists were totally clenched reading about your scary afternoon. I am so glad you guys are okay! Dogs terrify me so I am pretty sure I would have passed out. Don't forget to read those signs next time!!!
P.S Your story kinda reminded me of Peter Rabbit and Mr. McGregor! :)

Brandi said...

oh my gosh..that is SO SO scary!!! I am so thankful that your husband was with you!

michelle said...

Oh WoW! I am SOOO glad all of you are ok! That would have scared the heber geebers out of me!!! I am afraid of dogs! I am not afraid of my dogs, just any other dogs. Tell Mike that he just moved uo a notch in my book! :)

Jamie C. said...

I'm so glad no one got hurt. You seriously just described my nightmares. I always dream about dogs attacking me! Scary!

Amy said...

So scary. Thank goodness for tender mercies - so glad Mike was with you - and how amazing that the girls were so quiet through it all. Wow - it made me nervous even in reading about it.

Amber H. said...

Oh my gosh, this one totally freaked me out from the second I started reading! About a week ago I saw on Nancy Grace that a little boy got attacked by a dog and was mauled to death. How scary! I'm so glad Mike knew what to do to get that dog away from you guys! Yikes, what a blessing :o) I'm so glad you are all ok!

AnieCooper said...

HOLY CRAP! That is sooo scary...thank God you are all ok! I would have freaked out!