Jun 5, 2008

Silhouette Project

My good friend Michelle had some amazing silhouettes made of her family some time ago and that idea was filed back in my mind of something I wanted to try some day. Then she was so excited to take a class at this adorable store in Mesa that I literally lie awake at night envisioning how amazing it would be to go there!!!Anywho.... I wanted to do my own version of a silhouette so I finally just figured it out by doing a little search and tweaked it to fit my style and needs... I have wiggly kids that don't sit still!!!

Here is the outcome and a little tutorial if anyone wants to make one them selves!!! Thanks Michelle for your willingness to walk me through the process...I had just finished when I saw that comment!!! you're the best!






(pictures are in order from start to finish from left to right!)

- take a profile digital photo of the person you want to use and print the photo on your printer. It doesn't have to colored. You can shrink the photo to get the desired size.
- carefully cut out the face.
- place the cut out on a black piece of paper ( you can use whatever color you want! a fun print would look cool too! get creative!) and trace it out and then cut it out again.
- Have a fun selection of scrap book paper that will coordinate the room or area you want to display the finished product in. I use 12x12 paper.
- Trim the paper to fit the front of a 12 x 12 artists canvas and all four of it's sides.
- Paint the edges and the corners of the canvas with a coordinating or complimentary color so no white canvas shows through.
- Use modge podge to adhere the paper to the canvas.
- Take your cut out silhouette and and glue it to the canvas with the traced side down so no tracing marks show.
- Turn the canvas over and press it for a few minutes so it is completely attached.
- Then apply one layer of Modge Podge to the entire canvas and let dry!
- Add any embellishment you want!
- Cut a hanging bow out of ribbon and hot glue gun it to the top of your canvas.
- And hang and enjoy!!!!

So cute huh! I really had a fun time making these and they look so adorable in the girls room! they are super easy and affordable! If any of you make one I'd love to see a photo!!!

12 comments:

E Winzeler said...

They turned out darling Becca! Very Creative!

donna said...

YOU are AMAZING!!!! When grow-up, i want to to be just like you.. OH i am already grown- up.

They turned out wonderful.........

The Dunns said...

So cute!!! I hope you don't mind but I'm totally making these. I love them.

Andrea said...

Those turned out so cute! Love em!

Christina said...

too cute--i had already had another way to do them..i will have to post later on that--

Ranay said...

Beautiful! What a fun project. You are so talented - thanks for sharing.

Morph This said...

oh I love these.. they are so cute.

kori said...

Loves those! I can't believe how long Macy's hair is!

Jess Perry said...

You are truly amazing and so creative. I just love them. We need to get together. You can give me some more creative tips on my new things I am trying. You gotta come see them. They are still in the blue-print stage but coming along.

Elise said...

Please give me some of your creative energy! Very nice, and thanks for posting directions on how to make them.

AnieCooper said...

those turned out so cute :) seriously what is there that you can't do? ;)

Jamie C. said...

So cute! I've tried my hand at silhouettes, but can't seem to get it just right. Maybe I'll try your technique! Thanks!