Apr 21, 2008

The Earth belongs to all of us!


Tomorrow is Earth Day!!!! To a girl like me that's as exciting as a birthday if not more because I actually have Earth Day plans!!! I hope all of you can take the time to enjoy this beautiful Planet we have been blessed with!

We all can make a difference by doing even the smallest things! Here are some suggestions on what YOU can do starting now!!!!!

Replace old light bulbs with new high efficiency florescent bulbs!!! These bulbs will out pay for themselves in the first month of use! They last for years and can truly make an impact on the environment and on your monthly utility bill!


Say goodbye to water bottles. They account for millions of pounds of waste each year! Buy a single reusable bottle that you can refill each day! Just imagine how many bottles you can avoid using if you simply refilled one.


Mr. Clean is no longer welcomed in my home!!!And it's not because he's devilishly handsome and my husbands worried about the time we spend together! Too many household cleansers contain harmful chemicals that simply wash away and end up in our water systems. Replacing even one cleaner with a new Environmentally friendly product will make a difference! I love the METHOD brand sold at TARGET and Cloroxs sells a wonderful line called GREEN WORKS that I adore!

If you don't recycle already I have to beg you to start! Separating your plastics, paper and other recyclables is easy and fun and you can get the entire family involved. Your kids can even redeem the money for can's and bottles. Check your local cities regulations when it comes to what you can recycle locally!

"Turn off the lights!!" So often as a child I heard that from my folks and now I catch myself repeating the same request!!! Be aware of where you are in the house! Only turn on lights that are a must and for earth day try something fun. For an hour keep all the lights off and use candles or play flash light tag!!

Give the car the day off and go for a walk! Even if it's simply to enjoy the world around you, get outside and gain an appreciation for this amazing planet!!


Go through a closet, clean out your garage or a play room and make a donation to a local resale Charity. Giving items a second chance can keep our landfills from growing and can offer someone else the change to enjoy something new! Make sure this years Spring cleaning is done GREEN!


Plant a tree, grow a garden and add beauty to your surroundings. Not only will it look amazing but new plants and trees help supply you and I with Oxygen and help filter out harmful toxins and rays! With depleting rain forests and woodlands all over the world we need to do our part to replace what we are using even in this small way!


Please don't do NOTHING!! We all have been giving the wonderful ability to learn and become aware! I know this isn't new information. Take what you have been given and make an effort to give back! I know I'm a little more Earth Day excited them most but I challenge all of you to do something! Even for just a day! Every effort makes a difference!!!!!

Happy EARTH Day everyone!!!!

10 comments:

Hannah said...

You are too cute! I, too, am excited about tomorrow's holiday. We are going to save on emissions used to transport produce around the world by planting a garden! Can't wait!

E Winzeler said...

Ok, now I'm aware of all the lights I leave on. Right now I have every bedroom light on and both kids are out in the living room with me, with of course the lights on. I am going to work on it and buy those funky light bulbs. I'm impressed how much you know about all this earth stuff!

Andrea said...

I think I'm doing pretty good. We switched to those lightbulbs last summer, I love method cleaning products and I use a refillable thing for all the tons of water I drink each day...Go me!

donna said...

Your sister in law Megan, her sister Michelle just emailed me. She is moving to my town this summer. What a small world:)

Happy Earth day to you..........

Brown Family said...

I am going to post here. Something I never do because I am a blog stalker, but I really enjoyed your post about Earth Day. Sometimes I feel like I really can't make a big difference, but thanks for showing me otherwise. I am going to start changing some of my ways. :) Especially the water bottle one- HUGE! :)

BTW- I love your blog!

Laura said...

What a great post! I have been so happy to see all this info repetedly in magazines lately- green products, green building etc.!

Jess Perry said...

Okay...wasn't aware of all this!!
Thanks for this post and I will be more earth friendly now on because of you!

AnieCooper said...

Nicely put! Brent has been all into the green stuff for a while now. That is actually the area of architecture he plans on entering. :) Great post!!! Hope you had a great Earth Day!

Amber H. said...

I just downloaded the CUTEST digital scrapbook paper pack for earth day! LOL! Yes, we all try to be a little more aware...unfortunatly they don't do recycling where we are, but we're trying to find places we can! Every little bit helps!

carey said...

You are so cute. :) I'm a total loser when it comes to being green-savvy.