Apr 9, 2008

Best day = new found discovery!

AHHH!!!! Yesterday had to be one of those days that just was off the charts great! Now I don't usually have off the chart great days like that but I'm going to really start putting it out there in the universe that I'm ready for more of them!!!

I need to back up a little. I've been feeling a little unfulfilled lately I have to be honest!I for so long have been struggling with the fact that as a stay at home mom my time and abilities are limited when it comes to wanting to do more for myself and others but hey...that's the gig I signed up for and believe me, I wouldn't want another job!!! Still there are just certain feelings , wants, and passions I just can't turn off. So there they sit taunting me at times making me feel one dementional! ANYWAY.. I finally got tired of feeling this way and just had to figure a way out to feed the need in some small way so I came up with an idea!

For years I have been wanting to volunteer with a foundation that means something to me. I have tried in the past but it always came down to the fact that I had kids at home and they were and always will be my first priority. Finally I just had to get over that and call and see if I was still of any use to them. So a few weeks ago I called my local chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and asked if they needed any help from a SAHM!!! And what happened you may ask!!!???? I was put to work the very next day!!! I was given the very exciting task of drumming up local donations from businesses for upcoming fund raisers! My first initial reaction was EEKKK!!! Instant guilt for all the times some group called during dinner and I too quickly said sorry! I can't help!" Ouch!!! Thankfully it was off a list for follow up calls so it wasn't that bad!

Well all last week I worked on that list and got ho hum responses. I was given the go ahead to call other businesses if I wanted to...the sky's the limit really. So that's where the excitement comes in. I set a goal this week to get 10 new contacts and get them to donate something!Anything! A gift card , a product, anything! Well yesterday I hit the jack pot! I called local Paradise Bakeries and Pei Wei's and had some great success. I picked up 26 gift cards yesterday between these two companies at over 4 stores. While I was out picking up donations the girls and I ate lunch at the bakery and I noticed 4 service men in their fatigues eating lunch. I always love this. I make a point to always go and thank them for their hard work and service for our country. While I was in line I bought a dozen cookies and gave them to them as well as having my girls and I thank them. I was just in a very grateful mood yesterday for all the evidence of good in the world. We ate our lunch and went on our way off to the foundation office to drop off donations.

Well for sure Karma is real! After leaving the offices I make one more stop at Toys R Us to drop off a follow up letter! I find myself in the bike section and to help speed up this story...I end up leaving with 6 bikes for the event!!!!! 6 BIKES!!!! I was on cloud nine!!! It was such a thrilling moment! I was so happy, you know the giddy happy you used to feel as a kid at Christmas or the night before you went to Disneyland for the first time!!!That kid happy I never feel anymore!

So that could have ended my day on such a high but even after that I get home to find an email from a local radio station I love. I had sent an email that morning asking for a donation or a way to get the word out and BAM!!!! They totally invited me to come on the air and plug the walks and ask for more donations!!!! Yet again Happy kid joy fills me up!!!!

Now I'm not telling you all this to make myself sound like a super do gooder or anything. I went back and forth on even posting it but I just had to share the break through I am experiencing. I have found a missing piece. I have discovered something that has been missing for so long. I have felt like I was unable to do anything about it until my kids were in school or I reached a totally different stage in my life. I know I'm not the only one that feels like this. I miss the days where time was on my side, freedom and ability to do something I felt connected to. I have goals and dreams and wants that just seemed to sit in my head waiting for me to get to them later! It wasn't until I adjusted one of those wants to fit my life that I realized I can really archive something I thought I needed to wait for. I'm not saying this is the answer, even my answer to complete fulfillment! It's an added ingredient to help me become who I "Think" I want to be. Forever I will be discovering who that is! I'm still in the honeymoon phase of this discovery! I may wake up another day and find it's taking away from my spirit rather then filling my well. Until then I'm just going to enjoy it!

I loved what Elder Ballard said about as mothers we need to still make time for ourselves finding something that makes us happy and fulfills us in some way. It truly is real that when we do this we become better moms and partners and people. I was experiencing something while doing this that I haven't felt in so long. If anything I want to convey the message that we don't have to wait to do something we urn to do. We may have to tweak it a little but we don't have to wait. I feel like once I figured that out It has made me want to do other things as well. Things that I thought I didn't have time for. Knowing how it all comes together to create more then I knew possible, I have my fingers crossed that it will work in all departments of my life!

I hope we can all try to figure "it" out! I know we all have something we are waiting to do. I would bet that we can figure a way out to make it possible to do something NOW!!! What is it? We all need to figure that out!

10 comments:

Melanie said...

I loved your blog! I'm doing the same thing right now. I took a good long look in the mirror and realized how much time I waste andI can do so much more with my live. How I can help Josh to want to help other people etc. I'm excited for your discovery and wish you the best of luck as you pursue the "complete" you.

Andrea said...

That's so awesome! I'm so happy that you had such success and such a great day!

Brandi said...

I'm so glad that you have found the 'in' spot that is helping to make you fulfilled. That is oh so very important. :)

The Dunns said...

Amazing becca! They are lucky to have you on their team.

Melissa said...

Becca, don't you dare be hesitant to post this. How inspiring! That is incredible!

Julie said...

juniormint here again. What an amazing day!! Good for you. I'm doing my good deed tomorrow. I'm taking a friend of mine who just had a baby (and cries ALL the time) lunch and a little relaxation gift. She lives about 45 minutes away so I guess it's a bit of an effort:) Thanks for an inspirational post!

Nettie! said...

I'm so happy for you - that is SO awesome. You have a gift for reaching people so you go girl - continue getting lots of donations!!

I totally know the feeling - I get it every week when I help at Audrey's school and not a lot can beat it!

Becca you're awesome and thanks for sharing the experiences so far!

(BTW - Kyle was tested for cystic fibrosis when he was 1 and it was very scary thinking what a life would be like if he had it - until we found out he didn't.)

donna said...

wow what day you had!!!! You ROCK:)
Thanks for sharing!

Megan said...

First let me say, the girls room looks great! I love the fans! So cute!

I'm so glad you found something to bring more happiness to your life! And that totally rocks you got so many donations! You're amazing!

Laura said...

Wow! What an amazing post! Volunterring is the best way to make yourself feel fulfilled! Great job with all the donations!!