May 10, 2007

I need some suggestions

I just got some horrible news. A friend in my wards husband just passed away this morning. I still can't believe it. It was very sudden and out of no where. I guess he may have had a heart attach in his sleep and just didn't wake up. I really feel a need to do something for her and her family. She has three boys at home and one on a mission. I am afraid to bombard them even with my sympathy but don't want them to feel like we don't care. There is such a fine line when it comes to things like this. I tried calling her best friend , trying to use her as a liaison between us at this delicate time. Hopefully she will get back to me and relay any ideas of support they may need.

What should I do? I am closer to her then just your average ward member but I don't have the history that may warrant excessive intruding. Should I give it a few days, drop a card or something at the door...? What should I do? I know our ward is incredible and they are so loved in this ward and in the community but I need to do something to express my sadness for their loss. any suggestions?

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm sorry this happened. how awful. I dont' have any suggestions though because i always feel weird about it too. I never know what to say or do.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
donna said...

so sad! maybe you can write her a note

Andrea said...

Oh, that is so hard. It's really hard to say. With Trisha, we are very best friends so it wasn't awkward, as soon as I got the call, I rushed right over to be with her. Most of her family wasn't even there yet. I just hugged her and we cried together, but we are very close. A few years ago, another friend of mine lost her husband in a car accident, I gave it a few days before I went over. Her husband was a friend of Jeremy's too so as soon as we walked in, we didn't have to say a word, she knew why we were there and we just hugged her and cried with her. I'm sorry, I hope you can hear something from someone soon to know what you can do to help. You are such a sweet caring person...

carey said...

How terribly sad. Doing something is always better than nothing. Do you know the compassionate service leader in your ward? Maybe you could call her and ask if she has suggestions. Everyone deals with tragedies so differently. Even leaving something at the door might be nice (with a note saying you're there if she needs anything). I'm sure you'll handle it perfectly, Rebecca.

michelle said...

I am so sorry. I know that when my Dad passed away it was really nice to have people around that cared about him, and us. I personally would drop by, and let them know that you are thinking of them.

AnieCooper said...

Hey Becca! I am so sorry to hear about this. I haven't checked on here in a couple days. I wish I would have checked earlier.

Well, when my dad died, just hearing from people helped and those that came it was nice. It is such a horrible thing to go through. I am so sorry this happened. I read your posting from today and saw that you went. You are such a sweet person! She is very lucky to have you as a friend. I just love you :)