May 11, 2007

Back from my friends

So I just got back from being at my friends house. I went to the grocery store and got stuff to fill their pantry and feed the masses that will be in and out of the house for the next little while. I was so mad at the store. I was checking out and asked the manager if they did any hardship donations like a gift card or something and he was like " No...we don't do that." No compassion no nothing. OK... so when he finished ringing my items he gave me my total and I looked at him all cross and was like "... and I need to add a $50 gift card." I hope he felt my dagger looks. Anyway... I showed up and the house was filled with family and friends. I was glad to see her surrounded with people who loved her and the kids had friends their for them as well. This is a Polynesian family and in that culture I have learned that you don't ask what you can do you just simple start doing something. So that's what I did. I helped her fold her husbands laundry and then i went to work cleaning the kitchen and I just got busy. She had plenty to think about so I never asked her what needed to be done next I just did it. I said a prayer before I went over that I would know what to say and what to do and the spirit did guide me. I'll be checking in on her for the next few days. I know she knows I'm here for her and I don't need to be in her face. Hopefully she'll call me if she just needs a friend.

I have to give a huge thanks to my sister for watching Blue. I just had to get over there this morning and she was so willing to take her so I could. I really love you Boo. You are so amazing!

7 comments:

michelle said...

I am so glad that you went over to your friends house. I am sure that it really means a lot to her. How nice of you to take grocaries. That stinker at the store needs a swift kick in the compassion department!

Andrea said...

What grocery store was it? I know a few years ago when the YW Presidency was doing a few things for some less fortunate ward members they were able to get some gift cards donated. I'm so glad that you felt guided by the spirit. How lucky she is to have you as a friend.

Christina said...

i just wanted to comment quicly and say you did the PERFECT thing by just picking up her house/kitchen!!! in trials the greatest help is the mundane things..taking out the trash, loading the dishwasher..etc..we're SO BUSY doing major things..then the little things start piling up!! im SO glad you did just that-she'll be SOO thankful!!

Nettie! said...

I'm so sorry for this lady and her kids and for you and all who know her! I thought I left a post the other day but it didn't show up. I was just going to say if it were me, I would just pray that I would be led to do what needed to be done or said where and when and how it needed to be done. Of course, that's exactly what you did. And Heavenly Father inspired you to help in the way she needed it. Bless your heart, Becca!

donna said...

Wow! what a sweet thing you did for her. I am sure that means a lot to her and her family.
Have a great Mother's day :)

Melissa E Photography said...

How awesome Becca! You've given me ideas for how to help people when they are going through trials. What a sad situation. I'm so glad your friend has you to help her.

Morph This said...

Of course I was going to. How could I say no to A. My adorable neice, and B. A family who I love too in need? I am so glad you got to get over there. Let me know when I can do it again.