Oct 24, 2007

So Cal. Fires on my mind

It's hard not to ache for my beloved California right now. We have so many friends who are in danger of losing their homes or who have already lost them due to these endless fires. I am glued to the news.But in the back of my mind I am still hopeful and impressed with the resilient residence of CA. I have seen an amazing show of compassion, charity and love when anyone is interviewed. They are not without grateful hearts for their safety and their loved ones. Peoples true color shine in the mists of tragedy. I am proud to come from a state that pulls together and unites in crisis.

These events have also made me imagine what if I had to leave at a moments notice! What on earth would I try to save. It didn't take long to realize that my possessions mean the lest to me in times like that! I'd quickly gather up my family a few items of cloths and a box of photos and my hard drive. Every thing else is replaceable.

This has all put a lot of things into perspective. What's really important. What do we hold closest to our hearts and value greatest? It's not the piano I spent hours painting or the entry table I have fallen in love with. It's not the things that have caused me to wish I had for months and finally do have. It's all so superficial when you really think about it! I have really stopped and thought about my selfish nature over the past few months and I am grateful for that. It's important for me to see how blessed I really am and pull in the reigns a little. None the less I am humbled.

Natural disasters are a part of life. As destructive as they are I can see the necessity they may bring to humanity. To help us stop and see clearly. To be one with our emotions and help others on the way. To feel a connection with the things that are most important. It's sad that it takes something like this to make that happen.

My prayers and wishes go out to California.

8 comments:

Bruce said...

It is amazing how much something like this changes you. I have two brothers and their families there too. It is amazing that almost a million people have had to evacuate and it hasn't been mayheim. Really is amazing to see. I am thankful for this experience hitting close to home because it has made me think a lot about things. Thanks for putting my thoughts into words! :)

donna said...

I feel so sad for what is happening in CA! My thoughts and prayers are with them.

Matt said...

I agree, I feel for the residents of CA. We used to live there and there was always something happening whether it was; fire, flood, earthquakes or rioting, Californians keep going. Good Post

Jess Perry said...

Great post! How are you feeling? We missed you today. Give me a call when you are feeling better!

Laura said...

Good post. I feel for them as wll, so sad and such a good reminder of what people truly are deep down inside...

michelle said...

I enjoyed reading your post! Life is such a gift. I believe it is when we get going so fast, and don't stop, and smell the roses that it slips thru our fingers. It does take events like this from time to time to get us to STOP, and smell the roses. Thank you for making me think this morning! :) Are you feeling better?

Nettie! said...

I agree that possesions don't mean anything! I'm so glad you're not in CA anymore - that would be hard to witness!!

... said...

I just want to offer my thanks to all those who remembered us in their prayers during the horrible fires!