Jan 18, 2008

Sorry

So I haven't been in the best of spirits lately. Not quite sure how to pin point my haze but I defiantly feel like I have been in a funk!

I am certainly missing "Home!" I miss more then just my sister and the comfort I feel in knowing she was a constant in my life. I miss driving the streets I drove,shopping at the stores I loved, smelling the ocean as I opened my door. There is so much that I miss and it's all right now hitting me!

I could go on and on listing off the smallest of things I miss even down to the smell of freshly cut grass at the Mora Kai on Thursdays! I miss my tiny apartment and the green bench I sat on on the front lawn that I loved so much even if it had a nail that stuck up and snagged my cloths. I am pathetic I know. I try to tell myself it's ok to be nostalgic but it's been a very nostalgic week I guess that has only lead me to hurt for home.

As wonderful as life is here now I wish I could snap my fingers and be back home. Even if it meant giving up all this I would have at least know the truth in feeling like I have lived on the side with the greener grass and your right, it isn't always greener! I then am quick to remind myself that no matter when I had to finally take that final jump and leave the nest, if you will , it would have to hurt at some point! No matter when, no matter how far! I am trying my best to chalk it up to life lessons. To give into the reality that I could never live in a two bedroom apartment my entire life just because it was safe, simple and easy. The longing to leave that place was real as well. I need to remind myself of that.

But the truth of the matter is that I just feel disconnected. It's not all about missing home.I miss feeling apart of a ward, a family and a neighborhood. I was spoiled in a lot of those senses I know but You get used to that and it's harder to replace then I thought it would be! I feel like I am trying so hard here to just jump into life as I pictured it but really I am just jumping and missing each time! It easily look like life is wonderful. I am at ease with new people and with new situations but I miss more then anything the history that was behind relationships. The sense of placement in a social circle, being needed because they know what you have to offer rather then they know you to be willing to either get the job done or put forth the effort because you are desperate to make connections. it's hard to explain but even harder not to feel and give in to.

I play this constant balancing act fighting my desires to play the game and love the life we want so much and then the flip side is trying for the right reasons to get rooted here. Even as I write it I feel messed up in my thinking. Is it so wrong to want a great life with a home and new experiences? NO! Is it so wrong to miss the life you had even if you longed for the life you have now? That's a harder question to answer! Inside I know the truth. I am not as strong as I thought I was, as I wanted to be, as I pretend to be at times! I am tired of putting on the armor and trying to make a noble effort. And I know there is nothing wrong with that! I just think I am, right now, sitting in my reality and that's ok too.

I am missing home. I am missing looking forward to the dream of what was next. I am missing my sister .... I am missing my sister!!!!! I miss feeling useful to her as if I was some sort great help, even if I felt like I needed her more. I miss feeling known by someone that knew all of me. I miss so much.

And still I know this is normal and good. Like I said before...I would have had to go through this no matter when I had moved away! I think it took me longer then I expected so I felt like I was in the clear! Guess not!

Honestly I feel better having cried it out a little! I guess I needed to get to this place before I could move forward! I hope that's the next step! Moving forward and enjoying the dream of what's next for us because I am actually living in that moment as we speak.

Sorry for the bla bla bla Debbie downer! I put it off long enough so please forgive me.

26 comments:

Morph This said...

I want to hug you. I miss you more. Oh I just want to cry right now.. in fact I just sort of did. I love you.

the bates motel said...

i'm glad i'm not the only one that misses "home". although, i've been struggling for the past 6 months! you are always so encouraging though about your new area and new life and i hope one day i can be more like that! so don't be sorry for feeling this way! it's good to see that your normal :)! and p.s. ut is always a little hard this time of year especially when it's 80* back at home!

Andrea said...

I'm so sorry! I can't imagine how hard that would be. I don't think I could ever leave here, just the comforts of home, family and friends nearby. I'm so sorry you're feeling so sad right now! Don't apologize for this post!

The Dunns said...

I so understand what you mean! Except I felt that way when I left Utah and came to California. I would try to explain to Ian why I loved Utah so much but he never got it. You just explained it so beautifully. I miss the familiarity of my home state. I must agree with Rachael though. Utah is really hard this time of year. All the fun from the holidays are over and its cold and gray outside. This is when everyone wants to leave get out of town for awhile.

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

I need to call you! I had those same feelings too! Cheer up and just think, CA didnt have a tai pan!!! That is enough to make me want to move to Utah!!!

(by the way, I used my soup bowls tonight for the first time! I love 'em!)

cheer up, and also remember this is the "depressing" time of year! As much as I love the gloom and cold, it can mess with your head! maybe you need an apollo light box! :)

Rusti said...

Just wanted to offer a ((HUG)). You're very blessed to have such a wonderful sister to miss. :)

donna said...

MY dear sweet sista. I just want you to know, that i KNOW how you feel. I felt the same-way when Ryan and i move to Oklahoma City. We had NO friends and NO family. The first year was the hardest. But it got better. IT will get better for you. Before you know it, Utah will feel like HOME!!!! ‘


I agree with stephanie, the winter blues always gets people down.
Stay strong sista :)
Big HUGs Donna

P.S. we will meet in sunny AZ in a few months. Think of a yummy place to eat :) :) :)

AnieCooper said...

Oh Becca...I am so sorry you are so sad right now. It has to be so hard for you to be away from Jenny especially. I have considered moving away at some point in our lives and the more I think I could do it...the more I think I can't...if that makes sense. I can't imagine not being able to just pick up and go to my sisters or moms whenever I want. I so wish I were there to give you a big hug! We miss you terribly...but know you are doing what is best for your family. If you need to chat email or call me...miss you tons! Love you sweetie!

Mahana said...

i miss you becca! even though we didn't hang out tons in utah I do miss you and all our friends there and of course the back yard dinners over your fire pit! Don't worry about feeling discounted. I've lived here for 3 years and still just feel like I don't fit in and I know it is my own fault. I love my home. I love my family here but I too have those moments when i talk with friends back "home" and just wish wish wish I were there too, especially when they complain that it's a "freezing" 55 degrees outside. yeah. I miss that type of freezing.

It definitely is so much easier when there's a sort of history with people but you're a vibrant person. You've always been friendly and will find your place. And of course you'll always have a place at our home and heart! love you!

Mrs. Walker said...

Oh Rebecca! I'd miss California alot too right now where it's so flippin' cold here! This is why I hate January SO much in SLC! It's terrible! I get a huge case of depression every year!

I'm sorry you're feeling so blue and missing home! I moved out when I was in college to a totally different place, and I'm sure it wasn't as hard as moving your entire family and leaving everything that way, but I know how it feels to just want to go home, at least for a couple of months!

I hope you get feeling a little better!

Emily said...

Sorry you're feeling bummed! Your post makes sense - everyone misses "home" when they leave!

I really think it takes about 2 years to really feel included and at home in your ward and neighborhood. Hang in there!

Also, I think this time of year, with the gray,inversion and the cold, makes everyone feel a little down! As soon as the sun starts coming out and you can go out and put some cute flowers in your new garden, things'll be a lot brighter! :)

Ranay said...

Hang in there! I think this is a hard time of the year for everyone, whether they know it or not. And it affects everyone differently too. I, myself am feeling down in the dumps as are many of my friends - as you said it, Debbie Downer! It's definitely got to be the weather. The sun will come out soon, I promise!

Christina said...

i agree with some of the other posters..the weather makes life miserable for me..i felt this same sort of way in san francisco when the weather was blah day after day after day...

i really dont know what to say or dont know what advice to give....it was good that you wrote it all out and got your feelings out..thank heavens for blogger friends right!!!

do you have one special friend there you can connect more with? that really helped me here..kristen is my one special friend that we hit it off in the mothers lounge..

well..hope your moving forward in your own unique way..shoot i STILL need to send you off a check-HELLO!

Megan said...

I'm in the same boat right now! I should call you!!! I agree with everyone else though, this time of year definitely bites! All the excitement of the holidays is over and all we're left with is gloomy winter days! Having that on top of being home sick just makes for one bummed out mood!

Laura said...

I can totally relate. I don't really have a home town, but my sister is my "home". We usually see each other about 4 times a year, and at the end of each visit, I go through withdrawal. Noone understands me like my sister. I feel your pain.

Jamie C. said...

Becca, I wish we lived near by too, I think our girls would love eachother! Coming from someone who's lived away from ALL family for 7+ years and lives in the gloomiest state EVER, I know exactly what you are feeling! When we moved to St. Louis it easily took a year to feel apart of things. Our second move was much easier, because I knew what to expect and I knew what I had to do to make the transition quicker and easier. Still, it's hard that noone really knows where you came from or any of your roots. After many many years, I've realized that there are some blessings to this too. Nothing is better than having family near by, but when you're not living that luxury, you're forced to look for positives. Trust me, there are positives, and you will find them. E-mail me if you want and I'll give you our list! :) I have no doubt that in time, you will feel right at home in Utah. I remember the first time I said "home" and I wasn't talking about HB. It felt weird, and took awhile, but soon you'll talk about Utah being home and CA being where you're from and that will be okay. Just keep socializing as much as possible and things will get better! You know how great you are don't you? Good luck!

michelle said...

oh Rebecca! I am so sorry you are going thru this. I was just wondering where you were. I really can relate to your feelings. I went thru it when I moved to Utah from Arizona. I felt lost, and lonely. I will give you a call at the begining of the week. I sure love you my friend.

Hoagland Family said...

I totally understand what your feeling. I too miss Cali sooo very much. Jon was just saying that he misses the companionship of our friends. We always had our "go to" friends. Provo has been hard for Jon and I to meet friends. I think it's because we where super spoiled in Cali and had so many close friends around.It's totally like dating,Huh. You have to just put yourself out there and hope that someone finds you fun and entertaining. So thank you for sharing your thought, it makes all the rest of us feel normal.By the way you are so darling and I LOVE your house and what you have done with the decorating. I wish I could steal even a handful of your creativity.

Bruce said...

You shouldn't feel sorry for feeling this way. It's so hard not living close to family, especially a sister.

I feel like that every winter after the holidays are over. I hope no one ever judges me by my January or February self!

sarah ann said...

Rebecca! I am so sorry your down in the dumps! That's no fun. My Mom always says, "This to shall pass." - or someting like that. Lol! :) Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog!

E Winzeler said...

Becca,
I'm so sorry...you are such a trooper and make friends so easily. We love having you at Bunco and please know that any of us would do anything for you. We would love to watch the girls so you and Mike can get out and play. Please call me if you need anything Becca. I hope things look up!

carey said...

You're not Debbie Downer, Rebecca - - you're normal!!! It's hard to move, plain and simple! We've decided it takes YEARS to finally get "rooted" in a different place and finally feel like it's home. Hang in there - it just takes time. Hugs to you!

Shannan said...

Amen to all everyone has said! I think you need to go back to HB for a weekend visit just to see that things have changed there too and it isn't all you remember it to be. Remember the black mold that was killing you in Mora Kai? You'll see just how far you have come in UT and how much you love your new home, ward, and friends! Totally feel your pain though . . .

Michelle said...

hi rebecca--i'm megan's sister and i've been a lurker on your cute blog! i hope it's not weird for me to comment, but i just wanted you to know that you are not alone! my family and i have been going through the same feelings since our move to columbus six months ago. i agree with everyone else that it takes time and effort! you seem like a really fun, talented girl and if i lived in utah (which we just may come fall), i'd hang out with ya! especially to mooch off of your cute decorating ideas! hope things look up soon!

Hannah said...

I am so sorry! It is so hard to live so far away from "home" and from family that you love to be with. It will get better...and warmer. I am sure you will love it here before you know. You are so fun and friendly. People love you and you will make fabulous sister-like friends here soon!

Reena said...

Awe...you can always call mom! Really...I'm off Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.