Jan 24, 2008

Day four!!!


It's our forth day with no TV on and I have to say it's been great! I know in the past I have let Mace watch way to much tv. That "Woe is me!" week had to be the worst yet. I was content to just let her watch while I read and you all know how I can get lost in a good book!

I often complain about how crazy she can get too. Disobeying, arguing and just plane stubborn!I realizing now that TV had a huge part in that! She has changed completely! I can have a wonderful day with her and she listens, volunteers and is willing to follow directions so much better! I hope this change in behavior can stick... guess the tv needs to off way more!

We've been filling our days with morning story time in my bed, drawing, make believe play and play room time! She has not even asked to turn a show on. I do let her and Blue watch oneLetter Factory show but chalk that up to educational!

If anything I am realizing how far behind I am with Blue. At this age Macy knew all her alphabet and what sounds they made and so much more! I really need to dedicate more time with my kids preschool skills! I am so focused on Mace and getting her ready for school I forget to expose Blue to all that I can. I loved working with Mace at Blues age. She was such a sponge! Blue can count to 10 but it's got no meaning behind it! She does it more like a memorized song. I now have a new found charge to teach my kids while I can!!!

Do you guys have any suggestions for learning tools, songs, even videos that have been helpful to your preschool aged kids and younger? I love the Leap Pad videos and found them to be so helpful with Macy. I am anxious to hear what you have to suggest!!!! Thanks!

7 comments:

Melissa E Photography said...

Great goals Becca! We should try the no TV thing around here too.

As far as learning tools go, Parker really loves starfall.com. He learned all of his letters in a few days with this and an online fisher price animal abc game. (If you can't find the URL let me know and I'll track it down!)

donna said...

No TV! Way to go.

flash cards are the best. Yes i know it is "old school". Everybody is into computers. But i found out that flash cards work the best for my kids. Good luck :)

michelle said...

Good job on no TV! I took the TV away for a week a few years ago. It was pure bliss. I keep threatening to do it again. I think you motivated me! I am with Donna with the flash cards. They are plain, simple, yet say it all. You are a great Mom!

Jamie C. said...

We've had the leap frog Fridge phonics since Gabs was 1 and they are fantastic! I have converted many people to them since she knew her alphabet and sounds since 18 months old...there is suppose to be a word jammer thing that I'm sure Macy would love too, we haven't gotten that yet.
Also, we just find fun, everyday ways to practice our alphabet. Like at a stop light we play I Spy, where Gabs or I say we spy a letter and the other one has to find it. Or at the grocery store we see who can spy a letter first. I don't know, just a way to keep them busy and their minds off the fact that we are in the car or grocery store once again.

Andrea said...

Glad things are going better. I don't have any suggestions but I would say, whatever you're working on with Macy, have Molly around too. She'll start to pick up so much.

Lindsay said...

I have been a lurker for awhile now and know you have been struggling with your move. I found this post and thought of you. Hope you have a good one!

http://mcsmash.blogspot.com/2007_04_15_archive.html

Lindsay said...

I have been a lurker for awhile now and know you have been struggling with your move. I found this post and thought of you. Hope you have a good one!

http://mcsmash.blogspot.com/2007_04_15_archive.html