Aug 27, 2007

how to...

Someone asked me how to refinish a dresser so as they say on Yo gabba gabba..."This is how you do it!"

1. Buy a cheap dresser from a cute Chinese guy for real cheap!
2. Lug it cross country and put it in the room you want it to end up in, just so you know for sure it's worth doing all the work!!!
3. Carry the beast outside again!
4. Sand off enough to really just rough it up a little! don't go nuts on the thing!!!
5. Prime it with an OIL base primer and let that dry!
6. Paint two coats of Ivory (or whatever) regular latex paint on top of the primer and let dry.
7. Use Ralph Lauren Glaze, I used it in TOBACCO color, and put that over the paint. RL glaze is the cheapest (about $13)because you can buy it in pint size and they mix the color in for you other wise you buy a gallon of glaze and a pint of color and mix it yourself and trust me you don't need that much! I only used about 1.5 cups total!
8. Doing small sections at a time, wipe off as much glaze as you desire. The more you take off the less brown you will see!
9. When glazing detailed areas like on my dresser leave a little more on in the cracks and crevasses to highlight the detail work!
10. Wash your hands!
11. Carry the beast back into your house once it's all dry and Enjoy!

If any of you have any questions call or email me! I love this kind of stuff!!!

3 comments:

Amber H. said...

Awesome! Thanks so much for the instructions...I can't wait to try this on some old dingy pieces of ours that need some re-vamping ! I'll for sure e-mail you if I need any help!

kristin said...

wow - that is an amazing transformation. Your instructions seem SO easy...I will have to try it out!

Christina said...

HOW FUN!! looks like you've been busy!
if i brought that dresser in jon would be like oh no she didnt!!
then i would have said- no worries i have plans for it! he would then ask "am i included in your "plans!?"

yo gabba gabba-gotta love the aquabats- and seriously who DIDNT kiss one of those guys back "in the day" GEESH!