Feb 1, 2008

Pres. Hinckleys viewing

This morning I was able to attend the public viewing of our beloved Prophet. It was a morning I will never forget! I drove down with my friend Lesa and the entire time we spoke fondly of Pres. Hinckley and his years of service and humor we all adored. I don't think either of us were prepared for the feelings and Spirit we were about to encounter.

We were ushered into the Conference center and followed a line of People waiting to pay their respects. I remember a hush of reverence coming over all of as we slowly made are way closer. Tears started coming to my eyes as I pictured my time quickly approaching when I would see my departed Prophet.

As we entered the Hall of Prophet's I could not contain my emotions and the tears freely fell as I gazed at the beautiful flower arrangements and casket. I was not expecting the casket to be opened. I was taken by surprised as I saw laying there the peaceful and beautiful body of Gordon B. Hinckley. Nearby stood his sons greeting others with smiles on their face and I over heard one son say " He had us laughing till the very end!" The peace and love in their eyes was a comfort to me.

I felt a deep sadness today as I said goodbye in my heart to a man I loved and admired. It was the same sadness I have felt when other close loved ones have left. As happy as I am for his body to be resting and for his reunion in Heaven I was grateful for this feeling of sorrow and loss. He truly was a man of honor, glory and conviction. I felt solace in my sadness... it made him feel that much closer to me and mean that much more.

This is not just a loss for our Church , it is a loss for humanity. Gordon B. Hinckley was the only living Prophet living on this earth. He was here to prophesy for all who could hear his voice or feel his love! Today that reality sunk in and that great loss was felt.

As we left I could not thank my Savior enough for allowing me to be able to attend that morning. It was a moment and feeling I have never in my left experiance! Forever I will hold those impressions in my heart! I left with a feeling of encouragement. A feeling that life was a dress rehearsal meant for us to touch others and do our best while we can. It made me want to be a better mother a better wife and friend. It's hard to explain but that visit resulted in a change inside of me. I pray that I'll be able to hold onto this feeling I feel adn always remember my moment with the Prophet.

12 comments:

Suman Family said...

wow becca. that's a wonderful account of your experience. thanks for sharing.

Brandi said...

That is so awesome, I think that is a expereience of a lifetime. Thank you for sharing about it.

the bates motel said...

you are so lucky! that sounds like such a spiritual experience. it sounds like something you'll treasure forever :)!

Matt said...

What a memorable experience! Thaks for sharing.

Jamie C. said...

That must have been amazing! Thanks for sharing your experience, it was touching just reading about it!

Christina said...

that is way way cool

donna said...

wow becca. I am so glad you were able to go.
Thanks for sharing that with us.

michelle said...

This must have been amazing for you. I am so glad that you were able to attend.

Megan said...

what an amazing experience! I'm so glad you were able to go, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Laura said...

Beautiful post. What an amazing blessing to go.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your feeliings especially for those of us that live far enough away not to be able to go! It sounds like it was just as I would imagine I would feel. Sis. Bailey

regibells said...

I know how you feel. I couldn't stop crying during his funeral and all the little clips they played on his life. It really was the same feeling as losing someone close. Even though we never met him, his life was really connected to ours in such a huge way. He has touched our hearts and lives and in turn changed us for the better. He inspired us to live better lives...to "stand a little taller." I still remember sitting in our Miamaid class when I found out he was our new prophet. He was the prophet of our youth and his words of wisdom and inspiration stuck with us throughout our growing up years. I truly felt his love during those critical years and I wanted to live in a way he would be proud. For more on the life of President Hinckley go to KSL.com click on the icon with his picture and there are tons of great videos of him (including the funeral). The Video Biography is my favorite.