Apr 24, 2009

For SURE I had that moment!

So last night while on the way to the dealer to buy a minivan I totally had that moment! All of you who drive minivans will know what I'm talking about! It's when you almost can't breath and you see your life flash before you and you realize you are 30 years old and have three kids and drive a minivan. End of story!

As excited as I've been to graduate from my clown car into something that didn't inflict pain and blood shed while strapping munchkins in, I wasn't prepared for the reality that set in!

"Breath ma'ma!Breath!" I had to tell myself!

Was I really going to be able to pull it off!

I tried desperately to take my mind off the fear and excitement! I chatted with Mike on the drive down to Orem bringing up anything and everything besides the van. I was trying to hide my emotions! And why the heck was it so emotional! Ok... we haven't bought a new car in almost 9 years and this was a big commitment, a lot of money and a huge car to ge tused to driving, but the root of all my inner strange woes was the fact that this made it offical! I was about to cross over into the land of minivan moms! It all looked easy enough from my onlooking observations of all my friends who gracefully crossed over but here I was about to be initiated into the club!

But then we meet her! A sweet "salsa red" as named by Toyota Inc. themselves, Sienna. Perfect and new! Born in the year of the "Ox" (aka 2009) previously taken care of by others for a short spell but ready to be loved permenantly by us! She woed me with her power doors, tint and 8th seat! My fears quickly began to disipate as I sat all three kids in the middle row and saw something amazing! They didn't touch each other! They weren't sitting on top of one another and just beyond then in the fartheset row was even more room! More ROOM!!!!!!!!

So Miss Ruby is wating for me in the garage! Don't tell her but I'm a little nervouse to drive her! So new and perfect and I'm having new mom jitters! I'll get over it! I'll quickly fall for all her power, tricks and comfort!

So hello everyone! I'm a minivan mom!

9 comments:

Momma Fish said...

I am laughing so hard right now. Did you see the Oprah on mom's and how many said they cried when they bought their first minivan??? Funny

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

thank you for this- i started wondering if i would ever be in the minivan club because the thought of it seems so permanent and I just love the car i have now. you made this transition look so easy, i am glad to hear you had some of the fears i have had! rob said again last night that when we have baby #4 a minivan will probably be inevitble, and i know he is right, but it gives me all the more reason to wait to have another baby! you, on the other hand, should have another baby right away- you have 8 seats to fill up in that thing!
anyway, this post reassured me that my transition may not be hard afterall when i lay eyes on my "Ruby"
Get out there and drive her already! I thought about you this morning on the way to school wondering if you were out and about running errands just because the drive would be fun!

Megan said...

I can imagine the moment. A lot of our friends recently purchased mini vans, and as jealous as I am, I still think...man, I would REALLY feel like a Mom if I drove one of those. I guess I'll know the exact emotions in a few years, well, hopefully!

AnieCooper said...

You're too funny! Congrats on the newest member ;) Poor Mike hope he finds his "balls" I obviously read your family site ;) Wow 9 years without a new car! Good for you guys. Brent and I seem to get a new car every few years. Well that was before Sophie ;) we won't be doing that for a while! Congrats!

Julie said...

You're a better mom than me. I just couldn't do it, had to go the Toyota Sequoia route.

Sarah said...

I have not given in to the Minivan club yet! I pretty much refuse. I'm all for my big SUV. I couldn't ever seen my husband driving a minivan. Also they are just not very practical for us. WE are a 4x4 kind of family! We are those people who actually use the 4 wheel drive. Good luck with your van though. I've heard that they are great for functionality! I'm just not ready to give in. ;)

p.s. you made me laugh with your description!

donna said...

enjoy your new Toyota Sequoia .:)

Unknown said...

I felt the same way when we got ours. I wanted an SUV instead but couldn't justify the extra gas money!

I have to say, I love my Sienna. I truly love it in every way I could love a vehicle! (And I was never someone who cared about cars one bit until I got mine!) I'm glad you love yours too!

tara said...

tell mike they'll grow back. ruby is a beaut and you'll love the crap out of her. totally worth a mike needing to grow a new pair:)