Feb 13, 2009

My favorite Bread recipe

Here is the yummy bread recipe I have been using! I have had a few friends ask for me to share so here you all go! Sorry this is so wordy but I give step by step directions and tips when making this bread.


I absolutely love this bread recipe a friend shared with my. I have already cut it in half so the recipe I share with you will make three loaves. Her original recipe made 6!!!YIKES!!!

I use a Kitchen Aid mixer to make my dough and buy the Lehi Mill Flour. Cost co sells 25lb. bags of white flour ready to bake with for $9 and a huge 50 lb. tub of their ground whole wheat for I think $22 or so. We always ate wheat bread but I just didn't think we'd use that much wheat flour so I went with the white. BUT... I did go down to Lehi Mill on my own a week or so ago to buy a smaller 25Lb bag of ground wheat that I will be trying next.

This recipe also calls for honey and I buy that at Sam's club for $10 in a half gallon size. And it calls for Gluten, dough enhancer and powdered milk. I buy all those from the store Kitchen Kneads on Redwood right by where we meet for church. You just need a small bag all around $3 each. The other ingredients are typical. I know it was a little intimidating to see all the unfamiliar ingredients at first but this recipe is well worth it!

The only other trick I have found is that when you add the egg make sure it's at room temp and not straight from the fridge. I just put mine in a bowl of hot tap water while I gt the process going.

Here you go....

This will make three loaves of White Bread!

6-7 cups Flour
1/2 stick butter melted
1/3 cup honey
1/2 Tablespoon Salt
1 1/2 Tablespoon Powdered Milk
1 Tablespoon dough enhancer
1 egg
3 cups hot water
1 1/2 (Heaping) Tablespoons Yeast
1 1/2 (Heaping) Tablespoons Glutin



Mix in mixer with wire wisk attachment...

Butter
honey
salt
powder milk
dough enhancer
egg
hot water last! ( hot tap water)

Mix until well blended.

in separate bowl combined...

2 1/2 cups flour
gluten
yeast

Add to wet mixture in mixer 1/2 cup at a time until combined.

This is when I switch my mixing attachment to the Dough Hook.

add 4 1/2 - 5 cups flour, ( 1/2 cup at a time) until the dough is bearly sticky. I stop the mixer a few times and scrape the bowl to help make sure it all gets blended.

set a timer for 7 minutes and let it kneed on low (my # 2 speed). Thsi is awesome!!!During this time I totally get all cleaned up!!!

once it's been 7 min. place dough onto a floured surface and divide in three equal parts. Form dough into three loaf shapes and place in greased pans.

Let rise for about 45 min. **** I finally figured out how to get a great rise. While I make my dough I set my oven to it's lowest setting 170 I put all three filled pans in the center and cover with a warm damp towel. I turn the oven off and crack the door and let then rise in there. Check on them at 30 min. they may be tall enough to bake. I have had some over flow!!! be careful!

Bake at 325 for 30-35 min. Tops will be golden brown and they will sound hollow when you tap on the tops!

Remove from pans right away and let cool on wire rack!

Te Da!!!!!!


I have also made a loaf of cinnamon swirl bread by using this same exact recipe and rolling out a dough ball into a triangle shape, buttering it and sprinkling cinnamon sugar all over. Then you roll it up and let it rise like the rest and bake like normal! makes wonderful toast!

5 comments:

Megan said...

mmmm....I love homemade bread, especially the way it makes your house smell! Can I come over?

donna said...

yummy! Thanks for sharing.:)

Ranay said...

Thanks for the recipe! It is very similar to the one I wanted to try with ground wheat. It's next on my list to try. First I have to get sound ground wheat though! And yes, a little intimidating with unfamiliar ingredients. But I tasted a sample of that kind and it is VERY delicious. Also- love the idea of making it on Sundays. That would be great fun for our family too!

carey said...

yum! Any idea where to find these ingredients in Vegas?! :-) Thanks for sharing. I might just get motivated to bake!

Josh, Kim & Kids said...

I love that you posted this. I am working on perfecting a current recipe but maybe I'll have to try this one.