Nov 11, 2008

Hurts my heart

I keep getting email after email or articles sent to me about the Protest of the Prop 8 results. I can completely understand the feelings on the opposing side and even appreciate some form of rallying together to voice disappointment! Would I want my right to do the same, of course.

The part that hurts the most is the outright defacement of my sacred place of worship, A Temple held in high regard to my faith. It's going too far when you litter the gates and write on the walls. When hateful words and slogans are directly attacking My faith, that need I remind you, was not the only faith that supported the Proposition.We are an easy target and everyone knows it!

Why are we the lucky Christian denomination that gets singles out and persecuted for standing up to an issue that we feel so strongly about. The Mormons are a small percentage of CA residence yet we are the target of vandalism and Religious mocking.

If we were any other religion this would be more appalling to the eyes of those who watch this unfold. Had a Jewish Synagogue or a Catholic Cathedral been the marching place of protests and had the colorful and hateful words been placed on them this would all be handled differently. A hate crime, never allowed to go so far. But no. We the Mormons are not privileged to such concern or respect.

Disagreeing is a wonderful thing. Protesting is a wonderful thing. Even being so emotionally connected to a cause is a God given right. Crossing the lines are easy to do I'm sure when in the throws of a passionate debate but let this be a reminder that some lines are hard to step back over!

6 comments:

donna said...

Oh i didn't hear about the Temple.. Which Temple? That makes me so sad.

Blackner Family said...

I know so sad about the temple!!

Huge congrats on having a girl! Girls are so much fun! And I'm with you about Obama!! What is up!!

Christina said...

It has been heartbreaking to see the backlash directed at the church. I totally agree!

Angie said...

Randy and I were saying the same thing last night. This would never be okay if it were any other religion. I totally don't get it. It scares me and reminds me of the pioneers.

tara said...

ugg. why does it feel as though we are just beginning this struggle?! it does make your heart hurt. mine too.

Mahana said...

This it just the beginning sadly. Every celebrity seems to be egging it on too. Why can't they understand that we are not asking them to change their lifestyle...they are asking US to change ours, by wanting us to rewrite the meaning of marriage. They think we are being hateful, but look who is writing hateful slogans and resorting to defacement of property. CA Voted. But the Devil doesn't care.