Dec 6, 2007

The Christmas Gift

Yesterday I had a fun filled day with my dear friend Regina. We had been dragging our kids to one store after the other and as nap time quickly came and went we felt like we had one more store in us, Deseret Industries. Now Regina and I are cut from the same mold, we both love a good find and restoring furniture is a hobby so a trip to D. I. is always fun...and the kids love it too! So there we were, two carts between us finding great deals and trying to keep the kids close. We were finally ready to check out so we split up in two lines.

I noticed this lady checking out two people ahead of me had this adorable children's chair in her cart and I made a comment to her telling her how cute it was and that , jokingly, if she changed her mind I'd gladly take it off her hands! She was so adorable and excitedly told me " I know!! Isn't it great! I found a matching one like this a month ago here and this one will complete my set!" I know exactly how she was feeling! I get almost explosive inside when I find exactly what I am looking for!!! We smiled and parted and I started checking out my own items. As she finished she walked past my register and showed the cashier her recite and goes on to tell her " I just bought this chair but I would like to give it to this sweet girl for a Christmas present!" I was shocked! I saw the joy in her eyes to be able to give it away knowing how much I admired it. I didn't even try not to accept it because I could see how happy she was to do it! I left my register and gave her the biggest hug! I was touched and moved to tears that she would sacrifice her great find! Regina looked at me and we both were just so surprised! I thanked her and thanked her again and she was out the door.


I was seriously so happy! It was only a $3 chair that I could have easily paid her for but the greater gift was that she put aside her excitement of finding the perfect chair to complete a set and so willingly just handed it over to me, a perfect stranger!

I learned so much from this sweet lady! What a reminder of charity and pure love of Christ. It may sound silly to you guys but that gift of that chair really made an impact on me. I was touched by the simple generosity of a stranger willing to make me happy, not knowing who I was or my circumstances. What if I had been furnishing my home and that was the only way I was able to afford to do so, by shopping second hand. Or what if I had been reminded of a childhood memory when I saw that sweet chair. She knew nothing about me. She didn't know that that gift easily made my day not because I now have a chair but because I am more excited to "Pay if forward" and return the favor to another unsuspecting stranger!

Isn't this the reason for the season! To be like Christ and serve our neighbor in his honor! I am so grateful for that lesson I witnessed yesterday. I hope I can make as big of an impact on someone else's heart as she did mine!

14 comments:

donna said...

Wow how cool. Every-time you look at the chair, you will remember that sweet lady :)


I just got done reading the “ The Christmas Jars”. ( a great book to read) It took me only hour to read the whole book. Your story reminding me of the “The Christmas Jars”
It gives me such hope about our world, when i know that there are so may special people that are doing “Random Act of Kindness”,. One of my new goals is every-week do a “Random Act of Kindness”. Then i hope they will pay it forward :)

Bryn said...

Becca that is so cool! That is literally a Chritsmas story right off the shelf of Barnes and Noble. It truly is what Christmas is all about!

Bruce said...

I love that story. What an amazing lady. Ok, I am going to "pay it forward" to just because of your story. Thanks for the uplift! :)

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

what a sweet story! now you can "pay it forward" by giving it to me!

Andrea said...

What a sweet story, that is so awesome! I can't wait to hear what you do to pay it forward. You're so sweet!

Blackner Family said...

That is so special!! And the cool thing is that every time you see that chair it will hold so much more meaning too!!

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

what a sweet lady! this story brought me to tears, it's such a blessing to know that charity can be manifested in the most unsuspecting places. this story made MY day, and I dont even hav a chair to show for it!

Amber H. said...

Ok, that is just awesome! That girl was raised right! I want to do something like that! I love to give, but never would have thought to do it in a store to a stranger! Awesome! Thanks for the awesome holiday warm fuzzy feeling :o)

jeremyandleslie said...

Wow, what an amazing example. Thanks for sharing that with us. Your post has inspired me! Thank you!

Laura said...

What an amazing story! Those are the BEST chrsitmas moments and the reason for the season. Thanks for posting this!

Brandi said...

wow, what a wounderful thing that that lady did. That just makes me relize there are still wounderful people in this world. Thank you for the story Becca.

Rusti said...

Oh my goodness! What a sweetheart! What a blessing to bump into her. I'm glad you shared.

regibells said...

So how cute was that lady. I was a little shocked myself. I love how you blogged about this because that incident has popped into my head a few times since then. Such a powerful reminder that such simple gestures really can make a big impact...Those little things really do matter and are Bigger than the actual thing )in this case it was more than just a three dollar chair. I want to be more like that. Good lesson to be learned!

Unknown said...

Okay I have to admit it...I'm a blog stalker! This is Sister Bailey...remember me! I was looking around at different people's blogs when I found yours! It is so cute and this story about the chair was so sweet! I used it in a talk I gave in Sacrament meeting the Sunday before Christmas! I have to say you are amazing! Your blog is entertaining and informative! What a wonderful women you have become! and Mom...I escpecially liked the pictures of the blue toilet! Love you, Sis Bailey