Mar 23, 2007

let the weekend begin!!!

TGIF!!!! I love it when Friday rolls around! I have had a slow start this morning because I was up finishing a book last night! I started and finishes a book yesterday but it kept me up till 1:30 am.oops! I just love to read. I am well on my way to reaching my goal of reading 40 books this year! i just finished #13 on the list. I will have to admit I don't read all long and lengthy books. I do have to throw in a fast read once in a while! it keeps me from going stale and give up reading all together! Last night I read a Jack Wayland book! I have to give all the credit for my love of reading to Mr. Wayland. All growing up I hated to read. I was a cliff notes kind of kid and never read a book I was suppose to. I think the first book I ever read cover to cover was Charlotte's Webb and that was years after grammar school. But in college a friend recommended jacks books to me and I was a hooked reader! I really grew to love reading and his stuff is so simple and really relatable. We all know someone who can identify with his characters.

I'm looking forward to this weekend. I am going to go on a hot date with my hubby! we are going to dinner and a "show"... it's a stake play! I love that kind of stuff! I'm proud that we have been "dating" more! it really isn't that hard to go out without the kids... we just have to get in the habit of it more!

So I have been wanting to post this yummy recipe forever but never remember. This is my Great Great Grandmothers Recipe. My grandmother cooked it all the time and told me it was a regular meal in her home during the depression! it is the best Spaghetti Recipe in my book, maybe because of the rich family history behind it! give it a try. it's a great left over.

Brown and drain...

1/2 lb. Sausage
1 lb. ground beef

Add to large pot...

a little oil to pan
1 large chopped onion
1 chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped celery
2 cloves finely chopped garlic

cook on med. and stir and start to wilt the veggies.

add to pot...

meat
2 cans diced tomatos
2 cans water
1 can, 15 oz. tomato sauce
2 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 heaping tablespoon Sugar
1 teaspoon Salt

Bring to a boil.

add to pot...

one box ( 1 lb.) broken angle hair pasta. I break my noodles in 3rds.

cover and cook about 30 min. I like to stir mine often so the bottom doesn't stick but that could just be because I have junky pots so it tends to burn.

it should look thick... not your typical juicy sauce ... more incorporated. does that make sence.



I'd love for yo you guys to try this recipe. I can't describe the taste but it's not very Italian traditional. it's very "comfort food" home cooking. The Worcestershire sauce gives it an amazing woodsy taste. it's my favorite! let me know what you think if you ever make it! This is a real family favorite in our home.

5 comments:

donna said...

I also love to read. Jack Wayland’s books are great. “Charly” was one of my favorites! I have to get the new book for my book club this weekend “The Beggar King and the Secret of Happiness”: A True
Story by Joel ben Izzy I hope it is good.
Thanks for sharing that yummy recipe. I am done with my lunch, time to go outside and do some more yard work How fun:)

Andrea said...

That looks like a good recipe! I made spaghetti last night, but it was a quick one since we had a ball game after...you know, meat, noodles and ragu lol...I might have to give this one a try sometime, Jeremy hates Ragu so maybe I'll try this one and see if I can get him to eat spaghetti for once!

michelle said...

I admire you for you for making a goal of reading. There just isn't anything better than a good book. Your date night sounds so fun! I so badly need to go on a date with Steveo! I think that we have been gone so much on the weekend we have gotten out of the habit. The spaghetti recipe sounds so good. I am copying it down. Yum! Have a great night!

Melissa E Photography said...

Speaking of recipes.. I made your honey curry chicken, and porcupine meatballs from the MC cookbook and they were a HIT! My hubby said the meatballs were the best meal I've ever made. WOOHOO! Thanks! And I've been trying to read more too. Right now I am reading Tess of the D'ubervilles.

Morph This said...

Woah... how in the world did you give out the secret family recipe? Every time someone asks I tell them its a family secret and sorry I can't. I hope none of them find and check out your blog.. my secret would be blown. hugs..